Skip to content

Study Abroad

The School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (SSHA) encourages its students to add an international dimension to their education by participating in the UC Education Abroad Program (EAP). EAP provides students with the opportunity to steep themselves in Italian language and culture in Rome, gain unique perspectives on Asian international politics and society while studying on the grounds of a royal palace in Seoul or apply psychoanalytic theory to social issues in South Africa. Each year, SSHA students attend these and other EAP options around the world. With proper academic planning, students can have the experience of a lifetime with no loss of time in completing their degrees.
For more information and to apply to study abroad, please visit UC Merced's Study Abroad website.

Before studying abroad

  • Meet with the UC Merced Office of International Affairs, located at the Kolligian Library Room 101, as soon as possible to discuss your program options and requirements.
  • Gather course description information for 8-12 potential courses that may be completed abroad (depending on program length).
  • Complete the EAP Academic Planning form, located within your EAP application, required for your specific application.
  • Meet with a SSHA Academic Advisor for an initial meeting at least one month before the EAP Application deadline for the following:
    • Discuss your academic progress, strategies for course selection, and the effects of EAP participation (if any), including issues with residency and application for graduation.
    • Obtain a signature on your EAP Academic Planning form.
    • Review and sign the SSHA Study Abroad Participation Agreement form which will be provided by an academic advisor during your meeting.

During studying abroad

  • If you wish to have your study abroad courses reviewed for applicability to your major, minor or general education requirements, please submit a Course Approval Form upon receiving your study abroad course syllabus. Please submit the Course Approval Form to the appropriate subject school.
  • Contact your SSHA Academic Advisor via email to inquire about your outstanding degree requirements and/or course registration. Please include your full name and student ID number.
  • Register for next semester’s courses during your scheduled time and day, Pacific Standard Time.

After studying abroad

  • Check your UC Merced email account to view Course Approval Form decisions.
  • Wait for your study abroad courses to appear on your Audit; if your study abroad courses appear on your Audit and you have received decisions via your UC Merced email account, please contact your advisor via email to update your Audit.
  • Meet with a SSHA Academic Advisor to discuss your outstanding degree requirements and/or course registration.