Overview of Academic Advising within SSHA
SSHA Academic Advising begins with New Student Orientation and continues throughout the student’s academic career at UC Merced. Students are assigned to an academic advisor based on their declared major and/or minor within SSHA.
SSHA academic advisors may provide:
- Academic planning and course selection for current and upcoming semesters
- Assistance in choosing or changing a major/minor
- Advice and planning during times of academic difficulty
- Workshops on registration and other important topics
- Referrals to college or community resources
SSHA academic advisors see students through appointments and walk-in hours. Students should check in to the SSHA Advising Reception area (COB 204) during scheduled walk-in advising times. Students can expect to see their assigned major/minor advisor during normal advising times, but may be assisted by any available advisor during peak hours. Walk-in hours are always updated on the academic advisor walk-in hours page.
SSHA Academic Advising Mission
In keeping with UC Merced Academic Advising's mission, the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (SSHA) academic advising program strives to empower students to develop sound educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, goals and career plans, and provide a supportive atmosphere that guides students toward becoming self-directed learners and decision-makers.
- Clarify university and school policies, regulations, programs and procedures.
- Notify students of significant changes to university or school policies.
- Be available to meet with students each semester to discuss class registration and degree progression.
- Assist students facing difficulties that affect their education.
- Help students explore interests, abilities and goals and how these translate into an academic major.
- Offer advice for course selection and satisfaction of degree requirements.
- Discuss academic performance and implications of students’ performance on undergraduate program and degree completion.
- Facilitate appropriate referrals to faculty members within the students’ area of interest.
- Refer students to appropriate university support services as needed.