- Students in the entering freshman class of Spring or Fall 2019 are required to meet with an academic advisor or Peer Mentor within their current School by their fourth semester at UC Merced (for some of you this may be your fifth). We hope that this connection with an advisor or Peer Mentor will give you a jump-start on your third year by facilitating progress in your degree and support in the development of your educational goals.
IMPORTANT: advising sessions will be available starting September 28, 2020. You can complete your meeting via a virtual Appointment or Walk-In meeting!
Identify resources available to help you track and sustain academic progress;
Outline your remaining semesters;
Determine how to organize and approach your academic plan utilizing your Audit and MyDegreePath
Seeing an Advisor or Peer Mentor to "Jump-Start your Third Year"
In most cases, meetings will take no longer than 15 minutes of your time. Advisors and Peer Mentors will be available for this important meeting during regular SSHA Advising Walk-in hours.
Check in to your virtual meeting or walk-in advising with the following materials:
- Completed Graduation Plan using MyDegreePath
- Using Plan Builder through MyDegreePath, complete a graduation plan which includes all of your remaining graduation requirements (Click here to watch a video tutorial on how to create a Graduation Plan).
- You are expected to complete your graduation plan before meeting with an advisor or peer mentor
- Undeclared SSHA Students should complete a MyDegreePath/Graduation Plan for their intended major within SSHA.
If you intend to meet with a Peer Mentor, please have a downloaded copy of your current Audit, or a What-If Audit for your intended major, ready within 24-hours (Resources: how to run an audit/what-if audit through MyDegreePath). Undeclared SSHA majors should bring a "What-If Audit" for their intended major within SSHA.
NOTE: Students wishing to complete this meeting without the above materials will not be seen, and will be asked to come back at a later time with the required documents. Additionally, any graduation plan not completed via MyDegreePath will not satisfy this requirement.
Here are some resources to help you create your personalized Graduation Plan:
- Four Year Major Plans - These documents will give you a suggested 4-year plan for each SSHA major. Choose your catalog year: 2019
- Minors- You can find more information about SSHA minors here and School of Natural Sciences minors here. When creating a MyDegreePath plan, you may add a minor to your plan.
- Audit - This document must be printed and you must bring it with you to your meeting. It will let you know all the requirements necessary to complete your major (and whether or not you've completed them).
- Graduation Plan Assistance - Our SSHA Peer Mentors are available to answer any questions you may have in creating your graduation glan using MyDegreePath. Stop by the Peer Mentor walk-in hours page to meet with them; be ready to share your screen of your current Audit (or "What-If Audit") and your MyDegreePath/Graduation Planning document to complete your meeting. SSHA Peer Mentors will only be able to answer questions you may have in using MyDegreePath and completing your Graduation Plan.
If you plan to change your major to a School outside of SSHA after this term, you will still need to attend this meeting with a SSHA Advisor. You should bring a MyDegreePath plan with you for the intended major. To find out more information about how to build a personalized graduation plan for the intended major outside SSHA, see below:
- School of Natural Sciences - Here you will find a full listing of what is required for any Natural Sciences major.
- School of Engineering - Here you will find a full listing of what is required for any Engineering major.
- MyDegreePath Plan Builder - You should create plan for your intended major using your catalog year (2019) to see what requirements you have already completed toward your new major, and which requirements you still have remaining.
- MyDegreePath - Check out the registrar's website for information on accessing your audit and MyDegreePath.
- Printing on Campus - Can't print from home? Check out this resource page for printing on campus, as well as a listing of the IT Labs with computer/printing access.
Sample 4 Year Major Specific Graduation Plans
Below are links to our SSHA major pages; which include suggested 4-year plans for each of our majors. The plans below are generic, and your specific plan for graduation may differ from what is indicated.