Jump-Start Your Third Year

Beginning this semester, students in the entering freshman class of 2015 will be required to meet with an academic advisor or Peer Mentor within their current School during their fourth semester at UC Merced (for some of you this may be your fifth). We hope that this connection with an advisor or Peer Mentor will give you a jump-start on your third year by facilitating progress in your degree and support in the development of your educational goals.

Seeing an Advisor or Peer Mentor to "Jump-Start your Third Year"

Advisors and Peer Mentors will be available for this important meeting during regular SSHA Advising Walk-in hours only. No appointments will be made for this meeting. Check in at COB 204 with the following materials:

  1. A printed copy of your current Audit through MyDegreePath (or a What-If Audit for your expected major). Undeclared SSHA majors should bring a "What-If Audit" for their intended major within SSHA.
  2. A printed, completed Proposed Plan through Graduation.
    • Preferred Method: Utilize the Plan Builder through MyDegreePath (PDF and print for your meeting). Use our "How to make a plan on MyDegreePath" how-to document!
    • Alternative Method: Print and complete a Graduation Plan will include your current coursework (Spring 2017/Summer 2017) plus all courses left to be completed in your degree program (refer to your Audit for your remaining requirements). You will download this document and you are expected to print it out and complete it before seeing an advisor or Peer Mentor.
    • Undeclared SSHA Students should complete a MyDegreePath/Graduation Plan for their intended major within SSHA.

NOTE: Students wishing to complete this meeting without the above materials will not be seen, and will be asked to come back at a later time with the required documents.


Here are some resources to help you create your personalized Graduation Plan:

Students who plan to complete their degree in their current (or proposed) SSHA major:

  • Four Year Major Plans - These documents will give you a suggested 4-year plans for each SSHA major. Choose your catalog year: 2015
  • Minors- You can find more information about SSHA minor here and School of Natural Sciences Minors here. When creating a MyDegreePath plan, you may add a minor to your plan.
  • Audit - This document must be printed and you must bring it with you to your meeting. It will let you know all the requirements necessary to complete your major (and whether or not you've completed them).
  • Graduation Plan Assistance - Our SSHA Peer Mentors are available to answer any questions you may have in creating your graduation glan using MyDegreePath. Stop by at COB 204 and request to see a Peer Mentor; make sure to bring a printed copy of your current Audit (or "What-If Audit")  and a copy of MyDegreePath/Graduation Planning document with you. SSHA Peer Mentors will only be able to answer questions you may have in using MtDegreePath and filling out your Graduation Planning Document. You may find SSHA Peer Mentor office hours here.

Students who plan to complete their degree outside of SSHA:

If you plan to change your major to a School outside of SSHA after this term, you will still need to attend this meeting with a SSHA Advisor. You should complete a SSHA Graduation Plan and bring a MyDegreePath plan with you for the intended major. To find out more information about how to build a personalized Graduation Plan for the intended major outside SSHA, see below:

  • School of Natural Sciences - Here you will find a full listing of what is required for any Natural Sciences major. You can also receive assistance with creating a Graduation Plan from their Academic Advising Mentors!
  • School of Engineering - Here you will find a full listing of what is required for any Engineering major.
  • MyDegreePath Plan Builder - You should create plan for your intended major for your catalog year (2015) to see what requirements you have already completed toward your new major, and which requirements you still have remaining.
  • Bright Success Center Peer Academic Advisors - Receive one-on-one assistance creating your Graduation Plan for a major outside of SSHA from the Peer Academic Advising team!

Running an Audit/MyDegreePath and Printing on Campus

Students should utilize the following links to assist them with running an audit and printing the MyDegreePath and Graduation Plan on Campus.

  • MyDegreePath - Check out the registrar's website for information on accessing your audit and MyDegreePath.
  • Printing on Campus - Can't print from home? Check out this resource page for printing on campus, as well as a listing of the IT Labs with computer/printing access.

Sample 4 Year Major Specific Graduation Plans

Below are links to our SSHA major pages; which include suggested 4-year plans for each of our majors. The plans below are generic, and your specific plan for graduation may differ from what is indicated.


Cognitive Science



Global Arts Studies Program


Management and Business Economics

Political Science


Public Health