Declaration of Major/Minor

General Criteria for Major/Minor Declaration

To declare a major or minor within the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts, continuing students must be in good standing with the university (2.0 cumulative GPA, as well as a previous term GPA of 2.0 or higher) and have completed fewer than 90 units.

Special Populations:

  • First-semester freshmen/transfer students will not be allowed to change their major or add a minor until after they have completed their first term at UC Merced
  • Policies regarding the declaration of a Multiple Major can be viewed within the application
  • Transfer students (except Undeclared SSHA) must have completed all SSHA Major Transfer Criteria upon admission in order to declare a major within SSHA
  • Transfer students admitted as "Undeclared SSHA" must meet specific criteria to declare a major within SSHA. Contact the major advisor for information
  • Students who have completed 90 units or more will not be allowed to change their major or add an additional program