Academic Reentry Plans
Students wishing to return to UC Merced into a SSHA major must set up an academic reentry plan with the appropriate academic advisor to increase the likelihood that their petition will be approved. Requests for academic reentry plans must be made through firstname.lastname@example.org and should include:
- Full Name
- UCM ID #
- Email (does not have to be UCM email)
- Prospective Major
- Institution(s) attended while absent from UC Merced
- Screen shots/scanned copies of unofficial transcripts and current coursework
For specific information on the academic reentry application process and deadlines, please visit https://registrar.ucmerced.edu/policies/academicreentry.
Minimum Requirements for Academic Reentry
To be considered for reentry into the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts after leaving the university in poor standing, a student must, at minimum, meet the following conditions during their absence:
1) Complete at least 24 semester units (36 quarter units) of UC-transferable coursework at an accredited institution of higher education (i.e. community college). These units should be completed in two semesters (or three quarters) of full-time enrollment. Failure to enroll full-time must be justified in the petition for reinstatement.
2) Maintain enrollment in a solid academic program consisting of UC-transferable courses related to their major or general education requirements similar to course loads undertaken at UC Merced.
3) Earn a cumulative transfer GPA of at least 2.7.
4) Complete at least 16 of the 24 semester-equivalent units in courses that are directly related to the major, with no grade less than a "C-" for those units. All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
Generally, students will not be allowed into a major until they have completed at minimum the equivalent of WRI 010, introductory major coursework and the mathematics course (or prerequisite) required for the major as outlined below.
|SSHA Major||Required Math or Equivalent|
|Anthropology||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|Cognitive Science||MATH 11|
|English||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|History||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|Management and Business Economics||MATH 11|
|Political Science||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|Spanish||Contact your UCM Advisor|