Students wishing to be reinstated to a SSHA major must set up a reinstatement plan with the appropriate academic advisor to increase the likelihood that their petition will be approved. Requests for reinstatement plans must be made through firstname.lastname@example.org and should include:
- Full Name
- UCM ID #
- Email (does not have to be UCM email)
- Prospective Major
- Institution(s) attended while absent from UC Merced
- Screen shots/scanned copies of unofficial transcripts and current coursework
For specific information on the reinstatement application process and deadlines, please visit registrar.ucmerced.edu/policies/reinstatement.
Minimum Requirements for Reinstatement
To be considered for reinstatement to the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts after leaving the university in poor standing, a student must, at minimum, meet the following conditions during their absence:
1) Complete at least 24 semester units (36 quarter units) of UC-transferable coursework at an accredited institution of higher education (i.e. community college). These units should be completed in two semesters (or three quarters) of full-time enrollment. Failure to enroll full-time must be justified in the petition for reinstatement.
2) Maintain enrollment in a solid academic program consisting of UC-transferable courses related to their major or general education requirements similar to course loads undertaken at UC Merced.
3) Earn a cumulative transfer GPA of at least 2.7.
4) Complete at least 16 of the 24 semester-equivalent units in courses that are directly related to the major, with no grade less than a "C-" for those units. All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
Generally, students will not be reinstated into a major until they have completed at minimum the equivalent of WRI 10, introductory major coursework and the mathematics course (or prerequisite) required for the major as outlined below.
|SSHA Major||Required Math or Equivalent|
|Anthropology||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|Cognitive Science||MATH 11|
|English||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|History||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|Management and Business Economics||MATH 11|
|Political Science||Contact your UCM Advisor|
|Spanish||Contact your UCM Advisor|