Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help
School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts

World Heritage Minor

World Heritage

The University of California, Merced announces its new Global Arts Studies, BA undergraduate major that will be offered through the School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (SSHA) beginning Fall 2017.

The World Heritage minor focuses on the natural heritage and cultural legacy of the human past, and how it is reflected today in places, landscapes, and intangible aspects of our cultures, including traditions, oral histories, song, music, dance, drama, skills, cuisine, crafts, and festivals. This program offers coursework and applied labs in studying and mapping monuments, buildings, and in managing cultural and natural heritage sites and landscapes using Remote Sensing, 3D visualization technologies, Geographic Information Systems, and digital data curation. Students may minor in World Heritage to strengthen their skills in the documentation, analysis, interpretation, visualization, and management of heritage places and resources with an emphasis in either cultural and/or natural attributes. The program prepares students for heritage careers in historic preservation, heritage tourism, cultural and natural resource management, and global policies on heritage or a combination of such disciplinary approaches.

Steps to Declare

1. Determine Eligibility
Open to all students who are otherwise eligible to declare a major at the end of Spring 2017 (freshman, sophomores or juniors in good academic standing). Students with junior standing must apply by the change of major deadline for the Fall 2017 semester to guarantee eligibility to declare without additional petition. Students with senior standing or who have already submitted an Undergraduate Graduation Application are  not eligible to declare this major.

2. Review documents
Review documents below for application of current and previously completed coursework towards the new major.

3. Submit Major Change form to COB 204
Major Change approval will be subject to Dean's review. Eligible students may be denied if declaration of this major will cause them to violate the Normal Progress to Degree Policy. See an advisor during our walk-in advising hours for more information.